Department of Health & Social Services
Public Health is mostly involved in Preventive Medicine links, the knowledge and skills of clinical medicine with the special skill sets of medical management and population health.
COVID-19 Health Updates
|Plainfield Vaccination program 2020
Public Health is primarily involved in providing Preventive Medicine resources. The knowledge and skills of clinical medicine with medical management and population health skill sets. Please visit the Health and Social Service page if you seek information regarding the Health Education, Vital Statistics, Animal Control, Community Development, the W.I.C Program, or activities at Plainfield's Performing Art Center.
the Department of Health & Social Services consists of five divisions:
- Division of Community Development
- Division of Health
- Division of Community Relations and Social Service & Plainfield Action Services
- Division of Women, Infants, and Children (W.I.C)
- Plainfield Performing Arts Center (P-PAC)
- Promote and preserve health and longevity in individuals and populations.
- Enhance quality in health care systems and eliminate health disparities.
- Facilitate early diagnosis with screening and education.
- Use epidemiology and biostatistics to improve the quality of life.
- Focus on prevention rather than cure.
The Division of Health Is:
- Preventing epidemics and the spread of disease.
- Protecting the community against environmental hazards.
- Preventing injuries.
- Promoting and encourage healthy behaviors.
- Responding to disasters and assist communities in recovery.
Essential Services Provided:
- Monitor health status to identify community problems.
- Diagnose and investigate health problems and hazards.
- Inform, educate and empower communities about health issues.
- Mobilize community partnerships to identify and resolve problems.
- Develop policies and plans that support community health efforts.
- Enforce laws and regulations that protect health and provide safety.
- Link those in need to personal health and health care services when not otherwise available.
- Investigate and employ innovative solutions to health wellness.
- We collect, share, and operationalize data to support public health decisions and actions to improve health and achieve our mission. CDPH leverages appropriate data infrastructure and technology to drive decisions and assess performance.
We are also behind the scenes with our disease detectives, investigating suspicious clusters of illness. We work with epidemiologists from the New Jersey Department of Health (NJDOH) and the Centers for Disease Control (C.D.C) to study Plaifield's patterns, causes, and effects on health and disease conditions.
The Challenges that this city faces are many. They range from obesity, diabetes, and heart disease to HIV/AIDS, tobacco addiction, and substance use. We work to address enduring gaps in health within communities of color, looking at structural racism as the root of these health inequalities.
We value creativity, innovation, and exploration; and continuously seek ways to improve processes and systems by working together with integrity, honesty, compassion, and transparency.